Dear Nonna,

I had a dream about you last night; I was trying to call you and I just couldn't dial the number correctly, the phone kept hanging up on me. When I woke up this morning I realized that today is the one year anniversary of your death. I never got to see you to say goodbye.

Grandma, you were one of the coolest people I've ever met. You not only raised a family of five, you happily took in anyone who needed a little extra love, from adopting my cousins to making sure my Grandpa's work crew always had a decent meal in their bellies. You weathered the depression, survived 92 New England winters and traveled the world. You were fiercely independent to the very end, and a huge flirt with the doctors I hear. I only got to know you very well those last couple of years, when your mind was starting to fail you, and though I regret that I will cherish that time together forever.

I'm sure you don't hold it against me that I wasn't able to see you at the end. I was traveling Europe, and then away at school- last time we talked you said you were "so proud." I miss you Nonna, but I'm sure you are giving them hell in heaven.

Love,
Shameless

No comments: